Svenson's  Bulletin Board Forum Index Svenson's Bulletin Board
Bulletin Board for boat building and model airplane building enthusiasts.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maximus- update - finishing & 20horses!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MEFoot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Maximus- update - finishing & 20horses! Reply with quote

I've updated gallery for anyone who wishes to look & perhaps have any comments! I've decided to finish it using numerous coats of a universal primer which I am currently applying & then top coats of a water based gloss which is manufactured for specifically for boat applications.
Was going to glass it but thought this might add too much weight as I live near an estuary & the maximus has a low transom!
As for sticking 20hp outboard on the back - I'm not sure so any usefull tips will be welcome.

My Line of work is exhibition stands & am building the boat at stores where I work. For the past two years we've travelled to the convention centre at Fortlauderdale in Florida. I've looked at a couple of Boat chandlers in the area in the hope of picking up a shortshaft mercury as I would be able to ship one back.
A colleague from work has been over to Florida combining a holiday & boat purchase in Florida, so also. if there's anyone from the Ft. Laud area who wants to get in touch or put me in touch with anyone I could meet regarding boat building - outboards etc. would also be appreciated.
Cheers for now.

Martin E Foot
lumiecraft

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glassing will not add that much extra weight and will add a ton of protection to the hull. However just painting it will work as well. As for the engine, I don't think you will have any troube with a 20hp unit. Many of the smaller hp units are just about the same weight anyway. Watch out, that 20hp unit will fly that boat. Wear protective gear when going out on the water with that and make sure you are on calm flat water. Choppy water will for sure introduce unwanted air under the boat. Little hydros are fun but do it within the limits of the boat. Don't get too cocky on the water. You will have loads of fun. Enjoy. Post pics please.
APB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the boats looking good... can't wait to see the more...heres the link to MEfoot;s personal gallery
http://board.svensons.com/album_personal.php?user_id=30
im debating on madifying the maximus to 10' (just repossioning the frames... should make a good 2 seater (im also going to eliminate the top cross peice on frame #2...on a 10' boat 2 frames should be strongenough and a 3rd without the horizontal cross preice and some more deck framework to make up for it should make a good boat. ive also done some calculation and some modification to the frame placements (just 20% decrease in planns.

as for a 20 hp...weight wise your boat will easily hold it my minimax will hold a 20 so your boat will have no problem...if your really worried than build a well at the back of your boat to hep backwash water from entering the boat.

APB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: