Svenson's  Bulletin Board Forum Index Svenson's Bulletin Board
Bulletin Board for boat building and model airplane building enthusiasts.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The building of the 12' Mustang named "The Pony"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgmarklin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: The building of the 12' Mustang named "The Pony" Reply with quote

Well, I'm new here, so I'll start off with a little bio...

BIO:
I'm 17 years old and have been in a drafting class here in Florida, this is my 3rd and final year. Last year, I built a 1/8 scale live steam train ( trainweb.org/lprr/) that runs on electric batteries and pulls people. So this year I wanted to build something that floats WHOA! I started at the beginning of this school year and get about an hour to work on the boat everyday. A whole bunch of thanks go out to Mr. Orr, Mr. Sharp and Mr. Fintel and alot of other kind people that have helped!!!!!

THE PLANS:
I first took the plans and studied them for some time (oh, 3 seconds) and decided this was the boat I wanted to build. The first plans I looked at were the 10' mustang (too small for my family). So I went with the 12'. I downloaded the plans, printed 2 copies and started entering them into AutoCad. By that night I had the whole boat drawn out. I changed the plans here and there and found, I think, some mistakes with the #1 frame. I built a model mockup of the boat out of balsa and 1/8 door skin with the school laser and found that I was right, the #1 was too high! So I punched the corrections in and we started building. I made some changes on where the steering went, I moved it up front, to the dash, now located 8" behind F#1. I also added/modified the plans 2 bench seats to fit my family of 3. And made a mid-deck 6" wide. I added in a motor well and some floors.

THE CONSTRUCTION:
These are rough estimates:
Started drawing plans: Aug 20, 2007
Started cutting frames: Sept 4, 2007
Main frame assembled: Oct 17,2007
Added ply bottom: Oct 22, 2007
Added cedar sides: Nov 5, 2007
Started foward deck: Nov 7, 2007
Stem work: Nov 15,2007
Stained sides: Nov 29,2007
Deck work: Dec 5, 2007 to Jan 16, 2008
Deck complete: Jan 17, 2008
Deck Expoxied: Jan 25,2008
Most Boat Fiberglass Complete: Feb 22, 2008
Today: Feb 24, 2008

There is still work to do on the inside and the transom tabs. I also have to run electric, steering and throttle to the 1956 15HP Johnson.

So the boat is almost complete, not completely done yet, I have a trailer for it at home and will be doing a float test soon (not soon enough!)!

I will post pictures here soon, if you have any questions...ASK!
dgmarklin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of the pony!

http://picasaweb.google.com/trainvillage/12ThePony
williaro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Nice Job! Reply with quote

That is a very nice job! Would you be willing to make those autocad files available?

Thomas
dgmarklin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. I sent you a PM too of my answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: