Svenson's  Bulletin Board Forum Index Svenson's Bulletin Board
Bulletin Board for boat building and model airplane building enthusiasts.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maximus - Maxed out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MEFoot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Maximus - Maxed out! Reply with quote

I can thoroughly vouch for the ease of build & durbility of the Maximus.
Without the outboard it's a two man lift & three with, to lift it on & off a trailer.
Being a novice I've managed to launch & load it on a trailer in & out of water single handed.

Last weekend saw about the final test for this year I think!

After cutting a notch in the transom to lower the 20short shaft merc - I haven't tried it yet as still trying to source a powerhead.
I did come across a 40hp on ebay which has been put on & run & it is totally awesome even without the engine height quite right.

We had three adults across the bench seat & she still planed & hit over 30mph! & handled extremely well.

The only problem is running at high speed causes water to come in the back where the alteration was made.
This is going to be resolved by returning the transom to possibly the origonal height. I'm going to have to measure the engine & build up the transom so the prop on the 40 sits correct.

Anyone know the ideal height?

The problem encountered origonally was using two car track rod ends welded together for the steering ( attatched to the teleflex). Using this method the rear deck caused fouling of the steering - not by much though.

Maybe I can go a little higher as the 40merc does seem deep in the water.
The maximus still ran & got us home after the mishap at the weekend - up river & with a receding tide we hit rocks & smashed all three baldes reducing them by 50% ! followed by the pull cord breaking on a re-start.
After managing to take the pull start apart & re-threading the cord, the engine was fired up & we headed back - opening her up to get back in time to get her out of the water it wasn't that noticeable in terms of performance that we had no more than 50% of the blades left! she still got up & planed on the water!

building the Maximus was cost effective as well - complete she cost about 800 or $1600 inc. steering, fuel tank & engine. parts were second hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: