Svenson's  Bulletin Board Forum Index Svenson's Bulletin Board
Bulletin Board for boat building and model airplane building enthusiasts.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glass Covering Boats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grep

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Glass Covering Boats Reply with quote

Has anyone covered any of the projects in glass?
Are they suitable for being covered in a 6oz fiberglass cloth?

Pardon me, if no asking the right questions. I just started teaching myself boat-building and I am not very knowledgeable.

Christian
lumiecraft

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the plans call for the outside covered with resin and cloth. Yes, use glass cloth and polyester or epoxy resin. Epoxy is best but also much more expensive. Where have you been looking and reading on how to build boats? Go to glen-l.com, clarkcraft.com, bateau2.com and there are assorted other places. These are just a begining place. Do expect to spend a fair amount to build any one of these. Just because plans are free or cheap does not mean you can build it on the cheap. Never cut corners for building a boat. These boats were very low in cost to build back when these plans were new but today the ply and other items are quite expensive. Dont' skimp on quality wood, glue, paint or any other item. Don't cut corners on screws and nails. Get the proper items. The sites I listed sell what you need.

Good to see you are interested in building a boat. Try a small boat and if you like and only want to build one for the purposes of learning I guess you could use good outdoor grade ply. Don't expect it to last very long and don't expect it to hold up like good quality magagony ply. Good ply is also solid core and usual size will be 5 ply and not the junky outdoor grade 3 ply. Get the best and have fun.

lumiecraft
BCseafleas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass information Reply with quote

I am building a minimost for a gentleman who wants it glassed. Now this boat is only 8' x4' . I contacted Noahs in Toronto and the expert in glassing advised to use1 gal of 1032resin, slow hardner #834, 4 yards of 6oz cloth. I also learned from a body shop glasser that before priming a boat,cover the entire exterior with the resin and hardner,this apparently soaks right to the core of the material you are working with. After a coat, without being stingy, light sand with 500 or 600 paper then prime and paint. This above info is from 2 professionals that work with this all the time. I hope this is a help as I am going to try this myself on this particular seaflea and will give update results. For more info,I offer full size patterns for both seafleas, build to suite, and have frame kits available. Pls if interested email me at cranfieldbrian@hotmail.com or H#905-986-4868 cell# 905-439-4868 Thanks and enjoy the rest of your day Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: