Svenson's  Bulletin Board Forum Index Svenson's Bulletin Board
Bulletin Board for boat building and model airplane building enthusiasts.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking News! Fastest Manned electric boat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MEFoot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Breaking News! Fastest Manned electric boat Reply with quote

My Maximus is soon to be finished but come across this one at an exhibition I am attending.
Interestng facts about the boat include that the hull design is by the chap that was on his way to sort out Donald Campbell's when he was making his record attempt.
I spoke to the chap who's wife is making the electric attempt & apparently the designer was going to meet with Donald Campbell & the team to sort out design issues when the jet engine that was put in the campbell boat was twice the power intended. He was about 10 minutes or so away but they couldn't wait & carried out the record attempt before he got there. The result tragic. This man if anyone stood a chance in solving the design issue with the craft when reaching high speeds.

the Electric attempt aims to break 60MPH & possibly go on to 100MPH - The attempt is due to be make in the Lake District, England in October 2007.

I believe 60mph has been broken & the aim is to break 100mph. Once that has been accomplished they aim to go on to even higher speeds.
The boat for the 100mph record attempt has no safety cell! apparently I was told that would practically double the boat's weight! at present it weighs in at about 200Kg (2.2lb = 1kg) 440lb? a safety cell for the pilot / driver would be included when they aim to push speeds up to the 200mph mark!

Note: There is a picture in my album of the latest design that I don't think is on the website i've mentioned.

They are looking for sponsorship in the form of your name or companies name on the boat! but there's info on their web site.( I'm not promoting for their sponsorship, just thought the site worth a look if anyone has an interest in boat design & engines) http://www.electricrecordteam.com/ & there's a picture in my album of the boat at the show I am attending. It's a three point hydroplane which over a certain speed becomes airborne all but the prop in the water! it's towed out to the start line & turned around with a tow for the second run. Because all the charge from the batteries is released for one run the batteries are recharged or replaced on the water! (for anyone unaware, two runs are neccessary in each direction, with an average speed taken.This accounts for any advantage created by natural forces.Also, the runs have to be taken within a certain time). It's a pure straight line speeder. Maybe we can go cleaner, greener & faster!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Svenson's Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Boat Plans All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: